Tuesday, February 24, 2015

In a word

What word comes to mind when you think of spring?  For those of us that spend our free time in the yard, tending a garden, or wandering the aisles of the nursery, I'm sure that there are hundreds of words that could spring to mind depending upon your mood.  Whether it's the name of an iconic flower like the tulip, or perhaps it's the name of the first bird that shows up, or maybe what you think of is having more light, more warmth, or more energy.

When I think of spring I think of those things too.  But I think we all think of it on another level.  We not only think of what spring looks and feels like.  We think about what it means.  And what it means to me is faith, hope, and love.

Those of you who are Christians may be immediately familiar with that trinity of words as they are found in the Apostle Paul's first letter to the Corinthians.  He wrote, "And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love.  And the greatest of these is love."

Granted, I'm taking these completely out of context when I apply them to my view of Spring.  But the words remain apt.

I think of faith when I see the trees bursting forth into bloom and into leaf.  We had faith that the winter would not ruin us, that the bleak times would end eventually, that sustenance would be provided again.


How can you not feel hope when you see a bud about to burst forth?  Or when you see new foliage on the rose bush that has been little more than a barbed set of sticks for month?  Our faith was tested and found to be true and now we reap the reward of hope.  Hope for what is coming soon.




And then there is love.  The greatest of all.  The all-encompassing love.  We love our flowers.  We love the colors.  We love new life. We love our alone time.  We love our dogs, our parents, our spouses, our children, our friends, and our own selves.


May love fill your garden this spring and may it fill your life in the rest of your seasons.


4 comments:

  1. Chad this is wonderful and a perfect post for celebrating spring....would you consider linking it in to my Seasonal Celebrations post that is up now. I would love to share it with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, I was just thinking this morning about having faith that this winter will end and everything will come back up after all this snow! What wonderful thoughts and sentiments about spring. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos. I need reminders that spring is really not far off. Scrolled through your older posts and stopped at the painted chairs. I'm inspired to do something very similar this year. I have a couple adirondack chairs and that color would really pop in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely photos. I've really been enjoying your blog - you have some beautiful plants that will ensure a happy spring, Matt

    ReplyDelete